Neurophysiology in Neurosurgery: A Modern Approach 2nd Edition
by Vedran Deletis
Over the last 18 years, there have been many advances in the field of intraoperative monitoring. This new edition of Neurophysiology in Neurosurgery: A Modern Approach provides updates on the original techniques, as well as other more recent methodologies that may either prove beneficial or are commonly used in neuromonitoring. The purpose of this book is to describe the integration of neuromonitoring with surgical procedures. Each methodology is discussed in detail as well as chapters describing how those methodologies are applied to multiple surgical procedures and the evidence used to support those uses. The second edition features a surgical procedure section, which focuses on specific surgical procedures and the type of monitoring used during these procedures. The original chapters have been updated, expanded, and the structure modified to ensure the book is beneficial to both physiologists and surgeons. This book is written for neurosurgeons, neurophysiologists, neurologists, anesthesiologists, interventional neuroradiologists, orthopedic surgeons, and plastic surgeons.
Endoscopic Surgery of the Orbit
Endoscopic orbital procedures are at the forefront of today’s multidisciplinary patient care and team approach to problem-solving. Endoscopic Surgery of the Orbit offers state-of-the-art, expert guidance on minimally invasive orbit techniques that promise a more streamlined approach to comprehensive patient care, improved patient satisfaction, and superior outcomes. This unique resource reflects the contemporary, unparalleled partnership between otolaryngology, neurosurgery, and ophthalmology that often also includes a cohesive team of clinicians from many other specialties.
- Provides expert perspectives from thought leaders in various specialties, including otolaryngologists, ophthalmologists, neurosurgeons, endocrinologists, medical and radiation oncologists, radiologists, and pathologists.
- Details the two-surgeon, multi-handed surgical techniques that have revolutionized the management of complex pathologies involving the orbit and skull base.
- Covers the full breadth of endoscopic orbital procedures—from advanced intraconal tumor removal and intracranial techniques involving the optic nerve and optic chiasm to more routine endoscopic procedures such as orbital decompressions, E-DCR, fracture repair, and subperiosteal abscess drainage.
- Reviews key topics such as neuromonitoring in orbital and skull base surgery, endoscopic surgery of the intraconal space for tumor resection, Transorbital NeuroEnodscopic Surgery (TONES), and reconstruction of the orbit.
- Includes tips and pearls on safe and effective procedures as well as novel approaches and innovations in the equipment used to perform these popular procedures.
- Provides superb visual reinforcement with more than 400 high-definition images of anatomy, imaging, and surgical techniques, as well as procedural videos.
The Surgical Management of Parasitic Diseases
by George Tsoulfas
This book is designed to present a comprehensive and state-of the-art approach to the diagnosis and surgical management of parasitic diseases involving different organ systems, with emphasis on the gastrointestinal tract. It is divided into five parts that address the various etiologies, current diagnostic dilemmas and methods, as well as the key principles involved in their surgical management. The introduction presents the overall epidemiology and classification of parasitic diseases, followed by chapters that focus on different types of the most frequently encountered parasitic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract found in different parts of the world, with special attention given to the existing surgical debates regarding the use of minimally invasive procedures. The next part places special emphasis on hydatid disease by describing the current extent of this disease, changes in its management, and the most frequent complications and tips on how to avoid them. The following part discusses the surgical management of parasitic diseases affecting different organ systems, including the heart, the lungs, the brain and the urinary system. The final part presents the surgical dilemmas encountered in special situations, such as pregnancy, and the pediatric patient. The Surgical Management of Parasitic Diseases is an important and authoritative resource to surgeons of all specialties dealing with parasitic diseases
Handbook of Burns Volume 1: Acute Burn Care 2nd ed
by Marc G. Jeschke
Atlas of Breast Surgery 2nd Edition
by Ismail Jatoi (Author)
This atlas describes various surgical techniques and incorporates both science and art into a unique transatlantic perspective for treatment of breast disease. The management of both benign and malignant disease is outlined with a detailed account of the diagnostic pathway and methods for obtaining definitive pre-operative diagnosis. All sections contain illustrations to demonstrate and clarify surgical and other practical procedures. Particular emphasis is placed on those techniques that consistently provide good cosmetic outcomes. This 2nd edition of the Atlas of Breast Surgery includes many new illustrations with important updates on innovations in surgical techniques. Many of the illustrations from the previous atlas have been preserved, with new illustrations to highlight important advances in surgical techniques since publication of the first edition. This atlas is intended as a guide for surgeons throughout the world who treat diseases of the breast, both benign and malignant. Atlas of Breast Surgery 2nd Edition serves as a valuable resource for qualified surgeons and trainees from general, plastic and gynecology backgrounds in the management of patients with all types of breast disease.
by Paul E. Kaloostian
Pocket-size, user-friendly roadmap outlines most common surgical procedures in neurosurgery! Surgery requires a combination of knowledge and skill acquired through years of direct observation, mentorship, and practice. The learning curve can be steep, frustrating, and intimidating for many medical students and junior residents. Too often, books and texts that attempt to translate the art of surgery are far too comprehensive for this audience and counterproductive to learning important basic skills to succeed. Neurosurgery Outlines by neurosurgeon Paul E. Kaloostian is the neuro-surgical volume in the Surgical Outlines series of textbooks that offer a simplified roadmap to surgery. This unique resource outlines key steps for common surgeries, laying a solid foundation of basic knowledge from which trainees can easily build and expand. The text serves as a starting point for learning neurosurgical techniques, with room for adding notes, details, and pearls collected during the journey. The chapters are systematically organized and formatted by subspecialty, encompassing spine, radiosurgery, brain tumors and vascular lesions, head trauma, functional neurosurgery, epilepsy, pain, and hydrocephalus. Each chapter includes symptoms and signs, surgical pathology, diagnostic modalities, differential diagnosis, treatment options, indications for surgical intervention, step-by-step procedures, pitfalls, prognosis, and references where applicable. Key Features
- Provides quick procedural outlines essential for understanding procedures and assisting attending neurosurgeons during rounds
- Spine procedures organized by cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral, and coccyx regions cover traumatic, elective, and tumor/vascular-related interventions
- Cranial topics include lesion resection for brain tumors and cerebrovascular disease and TBI treatment
Handbook of Burns Volume 2: Reconstruction and Rehabilitation
by Lars-Peter Kamolz
The second edition of this volume has been updated with chapters on scar treatment using laser, microneedling, tissue engineering, adipose tissue and lipofilling. It compiles the perspectives of a multi-author team, examining the entire spectrum of burn reconstruction and long-term treatment. Individual updated chapters cover basic aspects of wound healing and scarring, and plastic surgery relating to tissue rearrangement and the use of flaps, as well as the long-term use of skin and skin substitutes. Furthermore, it addresses topics such as rehabilitation and scar management in detail. It provides comprehensive reconstruction guidelines organized by anatomic region (e.g. face, hands, ...) as well as future trends and prospects in burn reconstruction, such as allotransplantation and bionics. Please also have a look at the volume "Handbook of Burns Volume 1 - Acute Burn Care 2nd edition"
Management of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Surgical and Therapeutic Innovations
by Santiago Horgan
This book provides a comprehensive state-of-the-art overview on the established knowledge in the field of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) as well as a current insight into new algorithms involving new diagnostic tools and new endoscopic and surgical techniques. The integration of these new findings in updated therapeutic decision making is demonstrated. The book reviews the latest literature on new diagnostic findings to better discriminate between different benign disorders of the esophagus and stomach. It describes the decision making to establish indications for the variety of established and new therapeutic options in the management of the disease. It also describes in detail new therapeutic techniques, which provides excellent back-up information for every clinician in daily practice. Management of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease is a valuable resource for clinicians, surgeons, nurses, technicians, students and researchers with an interest in esophageal and upper GI- disease.
Handbook of Robotic and Image-Guided Surgery
by Mohammad H. Abedin-Nasab
Handbook of Robotic and Image-Guided Surgery provides state-of-the-art systems and methods for robotic and computer-assisted surgeries. In this masterpiece, contributions of 169 researchers from 19 countries have been gathered to provide 38 chapters. This handbook is 744 pages, includes 659 figures and 61 videos. It also provides basic medical knowledge for engineers and basic engineering principles for surgeons. A key strength of this text is the fusion of engineering, radiology, and surgical principles into one book.
- A thorough and in-depth handbook on surgical robotics and image-guided surgery which includes both fundamentals and advances in the field
- A comprehensive reference on robot-assisted laparoscopic, orthopedic, and head-and-neck surgeries
- Chapters are contributed by worldwide experts from both engineering and surgical backgrounds
Neurosurgical Intensive Care 2nd Edition
by Javed Siddiqi
An authoritative pocket-sized guide on the medical and surgical management of neurosurgical intensive care patients Decompression is still the mainstay of surgical intervention for neurosurgeons treating neurocritical care patients. However, during the last 20 years, an evolution away from a mechanistic approach has transformed neurocritical care into an increasingly multidisciplinary field. Neurosurgical Intensive Care, 2nd Edition reflects this new paradigm, authored by a neurosurgeon with contributions from experts in the fields of neurology, vascular neurology, interventional neuroradiology, anesthesiology, critical care, traumatology, nutrition, and advanced practice nursing. Neuromonitoring advances have enabled customized interventions tailored to each patient's unique circumstances. The critical care of neurosurgical patients has evolved from an emphasis on pulmonary care (ventilation and oxygenation) to a more nuanced understanding of cerebral protection measures required to manage a disrupted blood-brain-barrier. This edition encompasses advances in the use of ICP monitors, external ventricular devices, brain tissue oxygen monitoring devices, cerebral microdialysis, fluid and electrolyte correction, as well as the increasing use of continuous EEG in the ICU. Key Features
- Straightforward summaries for each stage of patient care including bedside exams, neuroimaging, lab work, triage procedures, sedation and pain management, neuropharmacology, nutritional needs, administration of fluids, and more.
- 159 tables and figures facilitate rapid evaluation and decision making.
- Clinical pearls on a wide range of ICU scenarios - from pathophysiology and management of coma - to interventions for spinal cord injury, multisystem injuries, acute ischemic stroke, and pediatric cases.
- Insights on how to handle family communication and spiritual needs, medical-legal issues, and discharge planning