Cervical Trauma: Surgical Management
by Robert Heary
The definitive textbook on the management of cervical spine trauma from master spine surgeons! Understanding the clinical implications of cervical trauma requires thorough knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the cervical spine. Cervical Trauma: Surgical Management by renowned spine surgeon Robert Heary and a cadre of prominent neurosurgical and orthopaedic spine experts is the most comprehensive, state-of-the-art resource available to date on this topic. The text begins with discussion of cervical anatomy and the pathophysiology of spinal cord injury (SCI), SCI classification systems, initial assessments in patients with cervical SCIs, and cranioskeletal traction, followed by injury-specific chapters. Classification systems and management protocols developed over the last 40 years have enabled spine surgeons to work collaboratively with specialists in trauma surgery and critical care to provide optimal management of SCIs and attain improved long-term patient outcomes. This book covers a full spectrum of trauma-related conditions impacting the cervical spine and multidisciplinary interventions including minimally invasive surgery, neurointerventional techniques, reconstructive therapy with bone grafts or alternative stabilization methods, evidence-based medications, and SCI rehab. Key Highlights
- Discussion of upper cervical injuries – from more prevalent trauma such as atlanto-occipital injuries, odontoid and hangman's fractures, and atlantoaxial subluxations – to uncommon injuries like atlantoaxial rotatory fixation
- Management of subaxial injuries in adults and children and cervical burst fractures
- Special topics including sport-related cervical spine injuries and return-to-play criteria, craniovertebral injuries in pediatric patients, and managing comorbidities such as congenital spinal stenosis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Pearls on handling potential complications and insightful guidance and rationales for choosing surgical interventions over conservative methods and vice versa
Clinical Neuroanatomy, 29th Edition
by Stephen G. Waxman
Engagingly written and extensively illustrated, Clinical Neuroanatomy, Twenty-Ninth Edition gets you up to speed on neuroanatomy, its functional underpinnings, and its relationship to the clinic. You’ll learn everything you need to know about the structure and function of the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. This authoritative guide illustrates clinical presentations of disease processes involving specific structures, explores the relationship between neuroanatomy and neurology, and reviews advances in molecular and cellular biology and neuropharmacology as related to neuroanatomy. The book is packed with case studies and hundreds of visuals—including CT and MRI scans, block diagrams showing muscle actions, root-by-root and nerve-by-nerve images of sensory areas and muscle intervention, and more—to help you retain critical information. Essential for board review or as a clinical refresher, Clinical Neuroanatomy features: • More than 300 full-color illustrations • An introduction to clinical thinking that puts neuroanatomy in clear clinical perspective • A discussion of the latest advances in molecular biology and cellular biology in the context of neuroanatomy • Numerous CT and MRI scans • Block diagrams illustrating actions of each muscle (essential for the clinical motor examination) • Hundreds of diagrams and tables encapsulating important information • Summary listings at the end of each chapter
by Christopher J. Madden
Part of the Neurosurgery by Example series, this volume on neurotrauma presents exemplary cases in which renowned authors guide readers through the assessment and planning, decision making, surgical procedure, after care, and complication management of common and uncommon disorders. The cases explore the spectrum of clinical diversity and complexity within neurotrauma, including hematoma, injury to the sinuses, concussion, orbital trauma, penetrating brain injuries, and more. Each chapter also contains 'pivot points' that illuminate changes required to manage patients in alternate or atypical situations, and pearls for accurate diagnosis, successful treatment, and effective complication management. Containing a focused review of medical evidence and expected outcomes, Neurotrauma is appropriate for neurosurgeons who wish to learn more about a subspecialty, and those preparing for the American Board of Neurological Surgery oral examination.
Samuels’s Manual of Neurologic Therapeutics 9th-Edition
by Martin Samuels
Hands-on guidance on treating neurologic disease. The best-sellingSamuels's Manual of Neurologic Therapeuticsis a practical, accessible handbook for the diagnosis and treatment of neurologic disorders. Completely updated to reflect the most recent developments in the field, the book features a concise, intuitive outline format that makes today's best approaches easy to find and apply.
- Implement the current strategies to combat neurological diseases. Highlights include new pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatments for seizures; new molecular techniques and personalized approaches to neurologic cancers; new approaches for treating pain; the most recent intra-arterial therapies for acute stroke; and new treatments for neurologic infectious diseases.
- Manage benignautoimmune conditionswith the aid of a new chapter that discusses diagnosis via serological testing as well as therapies involving immune modulation.
- Treat patients in resource-limited environments,thanks to a new chapter that focuses on cost-effective management options.
- Locate the information you need quicklythrough accessible and well-organized chapters and an outline format.
- The ability to download the eBook on multiple devices at one time — providing a seamless reading experience online or offline
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that allow you to search within this book, or across your entire library of VitalSource eBooks
- Multiple viewing options that enable you to scale images and text to any size without losing page clarity as well as responsive design
- The ability to highlight text and add notes with one click
A Textbook of Neuroanatomy
by Maria A. Patestas
This complete, yet concise text is designed to help students easily master the anatomy and basic physiology of the nervous system. Accessible and clear, the text highlights interrelationships between systems, structures and the rest of the body as it moves through various regions of the brain. The first nine chapters introduce the main principles and terms in neuroanatomy, and the remaining chapters then use this information to describe the anatomy and function of the various pathways and discrete systems.
- Navigates students through the general principles and integrative components of the Nervous System
- Highlights interrelationships between systems, structures, and the rest of the body
- Emphasizes clinical relevance through clinical cases, questions, and follow-up discussions in each chapter
- Indicates medical conditions relevant to each chapter in the Clinical Considerations
- Features an accompanying website, www.blackwellpublishing.com/patestas, which includes all the illustrations, along with animations of key processes; also available on CD-ROM. Please contact our Higher Education team at HigherEducation@wiley.com for more information.
Movement Disorders: A Video Atlas
by Roongroj Bhidayasiri
Movement Disorders: A Video Atlas is a practical and concise title offering an introduction to the field of movement disorders, which is expanding rapidly with the involvement of various disciplines and specialties. The unique feature of the book is the accompanying video content, comprising common cases in each category of movement disorders. The video clips come from Dr. Tarsy’s personal video collection at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Dr. Bhidayasiri's personal collection at Chulalongkorn University and UCLA. The videos can be found at www.springerimages.com/Tarsy. Each case includes expert narration from Dr. Tarsy. Rather than focusing on rare cases, the authors emphasize typical cases, with good history and physical signs. Unique, easy to read, with highly instructive supporting video content, Movement Disorders: A Video Atlas is an indispensable reference for all clinicians interested in the fascinating field of movement disorders
Oxford Textbook of Neuropsychiatry
by Niruj Agrawal
A survey of over 900 trainees at the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) in the United Kingdom showed that over three-quarters of psychiatry trainees desired some knowledge and training in the field of neuropsychiatry. Recent years have given rise to a substantial global focus on integrating neurosciences and neuropsychiatry in psychiatric training. Neuropsychiatry forms an important part of the psychiatric curriculum and is examined in theory and in clinical exams. Similarly, neuropsychiatry is also of interest to neurology trainees, and it is increasingly recognised that all neurology trainees should have some knowledge and experience in neuropsychiatry. Despite this growing interest, there is a dearth of neuropsychiatry textbooks specifically geared towards trainees and other clinicians who are not specialist in the field. Part of the Oxford Textbooks in Psychiatry series, the Oxford Textbook of Neuropsychiatry helps to bridge the gap between general psychiatric textbooks and reference texts in neuropsychiatry. Organised into four sections, the book covers the basic knowledge and skills relevant to neuropsychiatry, the various neuropsychiatric conditions, the principles of treatment, and perspectives for neuropsychiatry worldwide. Chapters have been written by international experts who are leaders in their own fields with the view to taking an evidence-based, up-to-date, global perspective on neuropsychiatric problems and treatment. The book is relevant to trainees in psychiatry, neurology, neurorehabilitation and also to various allied professionals in neuroscience and mental health. It covers core knowledge and skills for practice in all psychiatric disciplines including core knowledge for training in neuropsychiatry. The book meets curriculum requirements for various international training programmes and examinations, and serves as an essential training text book for all psychiatric and neurology trainees worldwide.
Genetics, Neurology, Behavior, and Diet in Dementia: The Neuroscience of Dementia, Volume 2
by Colin R. Martin
Genetics, Neurology, Behavior, and Diet in Dementia: The Neuroscience of Dementia, Volume 2 consolidates different fields of dementia research into a single book, covering a range of subjects, including Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia, mixed dementia, vascular dementia, physical activity, risk factors, mortality, biomarkers, SPECT, CT, MRI, questionnaires, nutrition, sleep, delirium, hearing loss, agitation, aggression, delusions, anxiety, depression, hallucinations, psychosis, senile plaques, tau and amyloid-beta, neuroinflammation, and molecular biology. This foundational, comprehensive book assembles the latest understanding on all dementias and their common features in a single source. It is an invaluable resource for neuroscientists, neurologists, and anyone in the field.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of a broad range of topics related to dementia
- Serves as a foundational collection for neuroscientists and neurologists on the biology of dementia and brain dysfunction
- Contains in each chapter an abstract, key facts, mini dictionary of terms, and summary points to aid in understanding
- Provides unique sections on specific subareas, intellectual components, and knowledge-based niches that will help readers navigate key areas for research and further clinical recommendations
- Features preclinical and clinical studies to help researchers map out key areas for research and further clinical recommendations
- Serves as a "one-stop" source for everything you need to know about dementia
Acquired Language Disorders: A Case-Based Approach, Third Edition
by Evelyn R. Klein
Acquired Language Disorders: A Case-Based Approach, Third Edition, is a practical, easy-to-follow, informative guide for students and clinicians. The authors present each case from an impairment-based perspective with practical application to improving activities of daily living, as well as a social interactive perspective to create a wholistic picture of each case. For people with aphasia, clinicians are encouraged to consider not only language but also executive functions, attention, memory, and visuospatial skills. Information in the text coordinates the assessment process to a treatment plan informed by the Aphasia: Framework for Outcome Measurement (A-FROM) model, an expansion from the World Health Organization (WHO) International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF). This edition begins with a review of the basics of brain-behavior relationships and pertinent medical terminology for treating individuals who have a neurological impairment. Each disorder is then introduced in a case-based format that includes a case scenario with a photo, functional analysis of the patient, critical thinking/learning activities, a diagnostic profile, the new Target Assessment Snapshot, treatment considerations, and a Venn diagram of the A-FROM Model with patient goals for each case. Special features include “Test Your Knowledge” sections based on 10 patient scenarios along with an answer key, a Quick Reference Diagnostic Chart for ALDs, and a Functional Communication Connections Worksheet for treatment planning purposes. The 15 clinical cases include new photos along with the Target Assessment Snapshot depicting level of severity for expression, comprehension, reading, and writing and areas of cognitive impairment. A new case includes a bilingual person with aphasia All chapters have been updated with relevant research An A-FROM model graphic for each patient’s treatment goals is included There is a new Assessment Summary Sheet to help the clinician with the development of a diagnostic profile The chapter on assessment is updated and new assessments are added, including the Assessment of Living with Aphasia (ALA) and the Repeatable Battery for the Assessment of Neuropsychological Status (R-BANS), the Progressive Aphasia Severity Scale (PASS), and more Chapter 10 includes more than 25 treatment approaches and therapeutic programs The chapter on assessment and service delivery for people with ALD includes discussions of the ICF and the A-FROM Model The PowerPoint lecture slides to augment the text are now accessible on a PluralPlus companion website instead of a CD
by Valerie Biousse
A highly praised, well written, and richly illustrated modern classic in neuro-ophthalmology now in an exciting new edition with video clips! Neuro-ophthalmology is an "overlap" specialty, encompassing all disorders that affect the parts of the central nervous system related to vision. Neuro-Ophthalmology Illustrated, Third Edition by world-renowned neuro-ophthalmologists and professors Valérie Biousse and Nancy J. Newman expands on the widely acclaimed prior editions, lauded with awards by the Association of American Publishers and the British Medical Association. The updated text reflects diagnostic advances such as optical coherence tomography and features new high-quality images and videos. The text starts with neuro-ophthalmic and funduscopic examinations, visual fields, commonly used ancillary testing methods, and an overview of visual loss. Subsequent chapters detail a wide array of conditions including retinal vascular diseases, optic neuropathies, disc edema, disorders of higher cortical function, abnormal visual perceptions, diplopia, orbital syndromes, cavernous sinus and orbital vascular disorders, nystagmus/other ocular oscillations, and disorders of the eyelid. Final chapters are dedicated to nonorganic neuro-ophthalmic symptoms and signs, diagnosis of headache and facial pain, neurologic and systemic disorders that commonly have neuro-ophthalmologic manifestations, and an approach to management of the visually impaired patient. Key Highlights
- Concise text coupled with more than 600 high-quality images enhances understanding of complex concepts
- Easily accessible within pertinent sections, 69 video clips cover a wide spectrum of topics such as examination techniques, normal eye movements, eye movement disorders, and pupil findings
- Clinical pearls, flow charts, boxes, tables, and a highly detailed index at the end of the text improve retention and assimilation of knowledge