Diabetes Epidemiology, Genetics, Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, Prevention, and Treatment
by Enzo Bonora
This book provides the reader with comprehensive information on the epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis, pathophysiology, clinical features, prevention, and treatment of diabetes with the aim of empowering health care providers in their daily battle against the disease. Diabetes has been identified by WHO and the United Nations as a medical emergency because of the increase in its global prevalence, which may reach one billion in three to four decades if the trend remains unchanged. Despite improved care that is helping to prolong life, diabetes impacts substantially on the quality of life of those affected and kills or disables several million people each year. The disease is systemic because all organs, tissues, and cells suffer in the presence of hyperglycemia and are damaged by the diabetic milieu. Unfortunately, most patients with diabetes will consequently experience chronic diabetic complications. This book, combining basic science with a practical clinical orientation, will be of value for all physicians and nurses who care for patients with diabetes.
Epidemiology of Thyroid Disorders
by Jahangir Moini
Epidemiology of Thyroid Disorders provides comprehensive, clinical knowledge to professionals dealing with thyroid disorders. The book focuses on the pathophysiology of thyroid disorders, the prevalence and incidence of various diseases, and their prevention. This focused analysis on thyroid disorders raises awareness of this global problem that, once diagnosed or misdiagnosed, can sometimes lead to over-treatment and cardiovascular complications, especially in the elderly. This succinct, targeted reference gives the reader excellent information on the epidemiology of global thyroid disorders, as well as up-to-date treatment data and a special focus on prevention.
- Serves as a starting point for medical professionals, addressing the patterns, risk factors, prevention, and treatment of thyroid disorders around the world
- Discusses the prevalence of thyroid disorders around the world, covering disability and cost burden
- Covers recent trends, technologies and advancements in the management of thyroid diseases
Brook’s Clinical Pediatric Endocrinology
by Mehul T. Dattani
The seventh edition of Brook's Clinical Pediatric Endocrinology has been compiled by an experienced editorial team and internationally renowned contributors; it presents basic science and clinical management of endocrine disorders for all involved in the care of children and adolescents. It provides treatments for a variety of hormonal diseases, including diabetes and hypoglycaemia, growth problems, thyroid disease and disorders of puberty, sexual differentiation, calcium metabolism, steroid metabolism and hypopituitarism.
by Michael T. McDermott
For more than 30 years, the highly regarded Secrets Series® has provided students and practitioners in all areas of health care with concise, focused, and engaging resources for quick reference and exam review. Endocrine Secrets, 7th Edition, features the Secrets’ popular question-and-answer format that also includes lists, tables, pearls, memory aids, and an easy-to-read style – making inquiry, reference, and review quick, easy, and enjoyable.
- The proven Secrets Series® format gives you the most return for your time – succinct, easy to read, engaging, and highly effective.
- Fully revised and updated throughout, including protocols and guidelines that are continuously evolving and that increasingly dictate best practices.
- Top 100 Secrets and Key Points boxes provide a fast overview of the secrets you must know for success in practice and on exams.
- Features bulleted lists, mnemonics, practical tips from prominent endocrinologists – all providing a concise overview of important board-relevant content.
- Keeps you up to date with new techniques and technologies, as well as changing treatment options and drug information.
- Equips you for effective practice with coverage of the most current developments in obesity management, weight loss drugs, and bariatric surgery; type 2 diabetes mellitus; insulin therapy; thyroid cancer; osteoporosis therapies; and much more.
- Portable size makes it easy to carry with you for quick reference or review anywhere, anytime.
Best of Five MCQs for the Endocrinology and Diabetes SCE
by Atul Kalhan (Editor)
Best of Five MCQs for the Endocrinology SCE is designed specifically for this new high-stakes exam. It contains over 300 best of five questions with explanatory answers, each accurately reflecting the layout of questions in the exam. The book is divided into six subject areas, covering all the main themes of the exam, and providing a thorough assessment of the candidate's endocrinological knowledge. Uniquely, the explanatory answers include references to guidelines and other sources to enable candidates' further reading and study.
Speroff’s Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility 9th Edition
by Hugh S Taylor MD
One of the world's most widely read gynecology texts for nearly 50 years, Speroff ’s Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility provides a complete explanation of the female endocrine system and offers practical guidance for evaluation and treatment of common disorders. In this fully revised ninth edition, the editorial and author team from Yale School of Medicine have assumed the reins of Dr. Speroff’s landmark work, retaining the clear, concise writing style and illustrations that clarify and explain complex concepts. This classic text remains indispensable for students, residents, and clinicians working in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, bringing readers up to date with recent advances that have occurred in this fast-changing field.
- Remains the definitive text on reproductive endocrinology, offering authoritative coverage of reproductive physiology, clinical endocrinology, contraception, and infertility.
- Contains two new chapters on transgender medicine and fertility preservation.
- Features many full-color illustrations, algorithms, and tables throughout.
- Retains Dr. Speroff’s clear, user-friendly writing style while ensuring content is up to date with today’s best clinical practices.
- Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.
Smith’s Textbook of Endourology 4th Edition
by Arthur D. Smith
The most comprehensive textbook in the field edited by the founding father of endourology returns for a new edition. In full colour throughout and packed with surgical teaching videos, this is an essential purchase for all urologists wishing to master their skills.
Endodontology at a Glance
by Alix Davies (Author)
A practical and colourful introductory guide, Endodontology at a Glance covers all the essential topics (diagnosis, endodontic therapy, pain management and outcome of treatment) as well as the recent developments that comprise the field of endodontology. Written by experts in the field, the book explores the causes and sequelae of endodontic disease and offers suggestions for taking an effective patient history.
- New addition to the At a Glance series covering a core area of dentistry
- Review style makes for the ideal revision companion
- Includes access to a companion website with MCQs for self-assessment and downloadable images for use in teaching
Handbook of Inpatient Endocrinology
by Rajesh K. Garg
A user-friendly, pocket-sized reference for all physicians faced with endocrine care and challenges in hospitalized patients, this handbook covers the most common issues leading to an inpatient endocrine consult, providing differential diagnoses, a reasonable and practical approach to investigating and managing the condition, and advice for follow-up. Conditions discussed include thyrotoxicosis and thyroid storm, calcium disorders, osteoporosis, Cushing's syndrome, pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma, primary hyperaldosteronism, hypoglycemia in diabetic and non-diabetic patients, and endocrine issues during pregnancy, among others. Suggestions for further reading are included, providing more context for well-established clinical approaches.
by Demetrius Pertsemlidis
The second edition of Endocrine Surgery is a comprehensive update of the previous edition published in 2003. Edited by three leading authorities in the field of surgical endocrinology, the book encompasses the clinical, imaging, nuclear, molecular, technological and evidence-based principles that are applied in the diagnosis and treatment of all categories of endocrine tumors. Authored by experts from across the globe, this textbook reflects the best international clinical practice and also provides an outstanding educational resource. With full color illustrations throughout, the new edition emphasizes contemporary approaches in successive stages including: pituitary endocrine tumors; pathology and pathophysiology of pulmonary neuroendocrine cells; surgery of endocrine tumors of the lungs and thymus; robotic endocrine surgery; molecular testing of thyroid nodules; pediatric surgery for neuroblastoma and ganglioneuroma; multiple endocrine neoplasia; retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy; radionuclide imaging of carcinoid tumors, pancreas and adrenals; serotonin-induced cardiac valvular disease and surgical treatment; multimodal management of primary and metastatic neuroendocrine tumors; pathophysiology and surgery of Type II diabetes; post-bariatric surgery hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia; and surgical management of metabolic syndrome. Endocrine Surgery 2e provides the clinician with a definitive resource to reach curative outcomes in the treatment of patients with endocrine pituitary, thyroid, and parathyroid entities. Further coverage of broncho-pulmonary, adrenal, pancreatic, and intestinal neoplasia is also included, making this the definitive textbook on the subject. Demetrius Pertsemlidis, MD FACS The Bradley H. Jack Professor of Surgery, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, USA William B. Inabnet III, MD FACS Professor of Surgery and Chief, Division of Metabolic, Endocrine and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, USA Michel Gagner, M.D. FRCSC, FACS, FASMBS Clinical Professor of surgery, Herbert Wertheim School of Medicine, Florida International University, Miami, FL and Senior consultant, Hôpital du Sacre Coeur, Montreal, Quebec, Canada Print Versions of this book also include access to the ebook version.