Grossman & Baim’s Cardiac Catheterization, Angiography, and Intervention Eighth Edition
by Mauro Moscucci MD MBA
Freshly updated and expanded, Grossman & Baim's Cardiac Catheterization, Angiography, and Intervention, 8th edition, proves it’s still the leading go-to textbook for cardiac catheterization. Whether you’re an experienced practitioner, resident or cardiology fellow, you’ll find this an irreplaceable cardiac reference. The authors offer expert overviews of the theoretical and practical aspects of clinical issues, with increased stress given to hemodynamic data and tracings and interventional procedures. The clear, succinct text is illuminated by summary tables, illustrations and real-life images. Perfectly designed for quick access and easy reference! Features • New color graphs, tables, illustrations and real-life photos illustrate procedures, complications and bailout methods • Companion website with 171 cases and more than 900 videos • Online cases include a summary of important teaching points, with reference to relevant chapters in the print edition • Eight sections, covering: General Principles; Basic Techniques; Hemodynamic Principles; Angiographic Techniques; Evaluation of Cardiac Function; Special Catheter Techniques; Interventional Techniques; and Clinical Profiles • 12 new chapters cover: Integrated Imaging Modalities in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab; Radial Artery Approach; Complications; Pitfalls in the Evaluation of Hemodynamic Data; Evaluation of Tamponade, Constrictive, and Restrictive Physiology; Coronary Artery Anomalies; Interventions for Acute Myocardial Infarction; Pericardial Interventions: Pericardiocentisis, Balloon Pericardiotomy, and Epicardial Approach to Cardiac Procedures; General Overview of Interventions for Structural Heart Disease; Interventions for Cardiac Arrhythmias; Interventions with Cell Therapies; and Aortic Endovascular Grafting
A Practical Guide to Fetal Echocardiography: Normal and Abnormal Hearts Third Edition
by Alfred Z. Abuhamad MD
BMA Medical Book Awards 2016?: BMA Medical Book of the Year 2016? and Obstetrics and Gynaecology - First Prize The British Medical Association honored A Practical Guide to Fetal Echocardiography: Normal and Abnormal Hearts. 3rd Edition with these prestigious awards. Lavishly illustrated and easy to use, this comprehensive guide covers every aspect of fetal heart examination and all major cardiac malformations. World-renowned experts in the field, Drs. Abuhamad and Chaoui, have meticulously updated and expanded this third edition while maintaining its systematic and methodical approach. New chapters, 25% new images, and a practical, concise format make this reference indispensable for both physicians and sonographers in the detection of congenital heart disease.
- Thoroughly illustrated ultrasound images in color are accompanied by clear, colorful schematic drawings that depict cardiac anomalies.
- Disorders are discussed in terms of the ultrasound findings, with key points summarized at the end of each chapter.
- The first half of the text covers the technical aspects of the cardiac exam and includes new chapters on risk factors for cardiac defects, national and international guidelines for fetal cardiac screening and fetal echocardiography, optimizing the cardiac examination, cardiac embryology, the three-vessel-trachea view, and the venous system.
- The second half of the text features detailed discussions of fetal cardiac malformations, each presented in a practical, methodical format that includes the definition, spectrum of disease and incidence, the use of gray scale, color Doppler, 3D and early gestation ultrasound in diagnosis, followed by the differential diagnosis, prognosis, and outcome.
- Complete content with enhanced navigation
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that pull results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
- Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
- Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use
Handbook of Vascular Motion
by Christopher Cheng
Handbook of Vascular Motion provides a comprehensive review of the strategies and methods to quantify vascular motion and deformations relevant for cardiovascular device design and mechanical durability evaluation. It also explains the current state of knowledge of vascular beds that are particularly important for the medical device industry. Finally, it explores the application of vascular motion to computational simulations, benchtop testing and fatigue analysis, as well as further implications on clinical outcomes, product development and business.
- PROSE Book Award Nominee in the "Single Volume Reference Book" category
- Describes methods to quantify vascular motion and deformations including choosing what data to collect, relevant medical imaging, image processing, geometric modeling, and deformation quantification techniques
- Includes deformations for vascular beds of particular importance in medical devices including the coronary arteries and heart, arteries of the head and neck, thoracic aorta and arch branches, abdominal aorta and visceral branches, lower extremity arteries, inferior vena cava, and lower extremity veins
- Explains how to convert raw deformations into boundary conditions suitable for durability evaluation, provides examples of using this information for computational simulations, benchtop testing, and fatigue analysis, and illustrates examples of how vascular motion affect clinical outcomes, product development, and business
Principles of Heart Valve Engineering
by Arash Kheradvar (Author)
Principles of Heart Valve Engineering is the first comprehensive resource for heart valve engineering that covers a wide range of topics, including biology, epidemiology, imaging and cardiovascular medicine. It focuses on valves, therapies, and how to develop safer and more durable artificial valves. The book is suitable for an interdisciplinary audience, with contributions from bioengineers and cardiologists that includes coverage of valvular and potential future developments. This book provides an opportunity for bioengineers to study all topics relating to heart valve engineering in a single book as written by subject matter experts.
Cardiac Pacing and ICDs
by Kenneth A. Ellenbogen (Editor), Karoly Kaszala (Editor)
The consummate guide to cardiac pacing and defibrillator therapy in a clinical setting Designed to provide clinicians and fellows with a complete, up-to-date breakdown of current device therapies for pacing and defibrillation, Cardiac Pacing and ICDs reflects the latest developments in the device treatment of heart rhythm abnormalities. Topics ranging from essential principals to new and innovative techniques are explored in focused chapters, illustrated with full-color images, charts, and diagrams. Addressing every aspect of permanent and temporary pacing and defibrillation therapy, this invaluable resource covers patient indications, pacing mode selection, implantation and removal techniques, troubleshooting, and much more. The seventh edition has been expanded and revised to enable clear and practical understanding of the field as it exists today. Drawing upon real-world experience and cutting-edge research, it offers accessible, systematic guidance with a clinical focus, as well as a wealth of bitesize tips and tricks. Access to a new companion website provides insightful supplementary material, complete with downloadable images and video clips of key techniques. This essential book:
- Provides an intuitive, easy-to-navigate guide to cardiac pacing techniques and devices
- Explains pacing hemodynamics in practical, clinically relevant terms
- Features simple algorithms for mode selection and device programming
- Offers details of novel pacing systems and techniques, such as leadless pacemaker and His bundle pacing.
- Covers pacemaker timing cycles, special features, and evaluation and management of pacing system malfunctions
- Summarizes indications and details implantation techniques of ICDs, including transvenous and subcutaneous systems
- Includes best practices in MRI safety, patient consultation, and remote patient follow-up
Mechanical Circulatory Support: A Companion to Braunwald’s Heart Disease 2nd Edition
James K Kirklin MD
Offering comprehensive, authoritative coverage of mechanical circulatory support (MCS), this fully revised companion to Braunwald’s Heart Disease provides the clinically relevant information you need to effectively use this therapy to treat and manage end-stage heart failure. New editors and authors – experts in both cardiology and cardiovascular surgery – bring you fully up to date with the newest technology and devices, as well as basic science, clinical applications, adverse event monitoring and management, socioeconomic implications, future directions, and more.
- Covers all of the newest techniques, including new-generation devices.
- Discusses the management of common patient problems, highlighting cautions and outcomes, as well as pathophysiology and rationale for treatment.
- Brings you up to speed with the latest coverage of ventricular assist devices (VAD), extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), next-generation centrifugal pumps, and total artificial hearts.
- Provides a complete clinical perspective of the latest scientific breakthroughs and analysis of the current literature.
- Includes coverage of the most recent guidelines and protocols, including MCS for pediatric and congenital heart disease; the Interagency Registry of Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support (INTERMACS) as a tool to track and advance clinical practice; and cellular, molecular, genomic, and functional changes that occur in the failing heart in response to MCS.
- Presents practical evidence from the registry of thousands of cases to guide cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, emergency physicians, primary care physicians, and other team members on the best management course to follow for each particular patient.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase, which allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices
Acute Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease
by Dr. Scott Dougherty MBCHB BMSC
Acute Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease is a concise, yet comprehensive, clinical resource highlighting must-know information on rheumatic heart disease and acute rheumatic fever from a global perspective. Covering the major issues dominating the field, this practical resource presents sufficient detail for a deep and thorough understanding of the latest treatment options, potential complications, and disease management strategies to improve patient outcomes.
- Divided into four distinct sections for ease of navigation: Acute Rheumatic Fever, Rheumatic Heart Disease, Population-Based Strategies for Disease Control, and Acute and Emergency Presentations.
- International editors and chapter authors ensure a truly global perspective.
- Covers all clinical aspects, including epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, diagnosis, management, and treatment.
- Includes key topics on population-based measures for disease control for effective primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention.
- Consolidates today’s available information and guidance into a single, convenient resource.
Core Concepts in Cardiac Surgery
by David Taggart
The development of new techniques and the refinement of established procedures make cardiac surgery a fast-moving field. Core concepts in cardiac surgery has been developed to make it an invaluable textbook for the professional cardiac and cardiothoracic surgeon, covering both topical issues and updates in cardiac surgery. This provides the practising cardiac surgeon with current updates in the field, and controversial issues that affect everyday practice. Written by an international team of renowned cardiac surgeons, each topic is split into a review of the current literature and then important technical details. Their wealth of professional experience has been distilled into tips and common pitfalls in practice throughout the book. Extensively illustrated with full-colour photographs and artwork to facilitate understanding of complex procedures, Core concepts in cardiac surgery is also available on a companion website, to allow the authors to update the text regularly to reflect developments in the discipline.
Electrocardiography in Ischemic Heart Disease Clinical and Imaging Correlations and Prognostic Implications 2nd Edition
by Miguel Fiol-Sala
A fresh assessment of ischemic electrocardiography, its prognostic correlations, and the concepts and principles that underlie its use The electrocardiogram (ECG) is integral to the accurate diagnosis and optimal management of patients with ischemic heart disease. Picking up a wide range of indicators, it provides valuable prognostic data to cardiologists and emergency medicine specialists for whom ECG readings are a trusted and everyday resource. Electrocardiography in Ischemic Heart Disease is designed to help enhance such clinicians' understanding of ECG recordings and their relationship to anatomical patterns of myocardial ischemia, thereby facilitating the continued improvement of patient care. For this new edition, the book's globally recognized team of authors has revised and expanded the original text to bring it up to date with the cardiology of today. Practical explanations of electrophysiological mechanisms, ischemic insults, and arterial occlusions are placed in the context of the ECG's day-to-day use, while full-color images illustrate core concepts in a vivid and instructive manner. This essential guide:
- Demonstrates correlations between ECG recordings and anatomical patterns of myocardial ischemia
- Covers STEMI, special forms of NSTEMI, and Q waves
- Describes electrocardiographic patterns of ischemia, injury, and infarction
- Includes full-color images
- Explores advanced techniques such as contrast-enhanced cardiac magnetic resonance
Basic Electrocardiography 2nd Edition
by Brent G. Petty (Author)
The significantly expanded second edition of this important textbook provides a comprehensive overview of the basics of electrocardiography. Each chapter is revised, and the book includes new chapters that focus on pacemakers, low voltage, pulmonary embolism, and hypothermia. The book is intended to help students in all health care delivery fields and at all levels of training to learn the basic concepts of interpreting electrocardiograms. It concisely covers the essential components of electrocardiography (ECG or EKG) and helps readers identify a number of conditions, including arrhythmias, bifascicular blocks, and heart attacks. Chapters are constructed to introduce basic themes, show examples from actual patient tracings, and provide practice through self-test electrocardiograms that reinforce the concepts taught in the chapter. Additionally, practice tracings build on the information provided in earlier chapters as well as on the features of the current one. Designed for the clerkship student, resident, or even the practicing professional who wants to brush up on EKG particulars, the second edition of Basic Electrocardiography is a user-friendly guide to one of medicine's most useful tools.