Botulinum Neurotoxin Injection Manual 1st Edition
by Katharine E. Alter MD (Author), Nicole A. Wilson PhD MD (Author)
The Essential Guide for Clinicians Who Prescribe and Inject BoNTs
This is a detailed and practical guide to botulinum neurotoxin therapy (BoNT) and the wide range of applications for neurological and pain disorders. A unique reference source for new injectors and experienced clinicians alike, this indispensable manual provides information on dose, dilution, and indications for all four FDA-approved toxins in one handy text.
Following a brief review of relevant pharmacology, the book provides product information and comparative distinctions between the four FDA-approved toxins (Botox‚àÜ, Myobloc‚àÜ, Xeomin‚àÜ, and Dysport‚àÜ), along with indications and doses for FDA-approved conditions, guidance techniques, and common and emerging clinical applications. The heart of the book is an injection manual, organized anatomically and by condition and covering all applications for medical treatment. For each condition or site, information is provided on typical muscle pattern or muscle groups involved, dosing guidelines and dilution for the applicable toxins, number of injection sites, and potential risks and benefits. Targeting techniques are organized in table format for quick retrieval. Anatomic illustrations and cross-sections are provided to orient injectors and help identify optimal insertion points. An appendix with useful clinical rating scales is also included.
- Presents state-of-the-art information about current indications for all four FDA-approved botulinum neurotoxins
- Compares and contrasts the four toxins along with common and emerging clinical applications
- Provides dosing guidelines for various indications and injection sites for each muscle
- Includes anatomic drawings and cross-sections to illustrate muscle relationships and insertion points
- Serves as a practical, portable, how-to guide for new and experienced clinicians