BNF for Children (BNFC) 2016-2017 1st Edition
by Paediatric Formulary Committee (Editor)
The BNF for Children (BNFC) 2016-2017 provides essential practical information to all healthcare professionals involved in the prescribing, dispensing, monitoring and administration of medicines to children. It addresses a significant knowledge gap in many areas of paediatric practice by providing practical information on the use of medicines in children of all ages from birth to adolescence. Recommendations in the BNFC have been constructed on the basis of authoritative sources, emerging evidence and best practice guidelines. The content has been carefully validated by a network of paediatric experts and the process is overseen by a paediatric formulary committee. The BNF for Children 2016-2017 has been revised and revalidated to reflect changes in product availability, emerging safety concerns and shifts in clinical practice.
Significant content updates include:
- New safety information about the risk of abnormal pregnancy outcomes with sodium valproate and valproic acid
- Updated guidance for conditions including asthma and obesity
- Updated pregnancy-prevention advice for patients taking mycophenolate mofetil
- New drug monographs including cholic acid
- New indications for adalimumab including chronic plaque psoriasis
- New safety information about the risk of osteonecrosis of the external auditory canal with bisphosphonates
- Guidance on suspected or confirmed drug allergies
- Evidence grading of BNF recommendations.