Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols, Volume 1: Isolation, Characterization, and Interactions
Martha R. J. Clokie (Editor)
Ranging from the evolution of pathogenicity to oceanic carbon cycling, the many and varied roles that bacteriophages play in microbial ecology and evolution have inspired increased interest within the scientific community. Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols pulls together the vast body of knowledge and expertise from top international bacteriophage researchers to provide both classical and state-of-the-art molecular techniques. With its well-organized modular design, Volume 1: Isolation, Characterization, and Interactions examines a multitude of topics, including the isolation of phages, morphological and molecular characterization, and interaction with bacteria. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular Biology™ series format, chapters consist of brief introductions to the subject, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and a Notes section which details tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Thorough and cutting-edge, Bacteriophages: Methods and Protocols is a valuable reference for experienced bacteriophage researchers as well as an easily accessible introduction for newcomers to the subject.
X-Ray Repair: A Comprehensive Guide to the Installation and Servicing of Radiographic Equipment 3rd Edition
by Panichello (Author), Joseph J. (Author)
In the 20 years since the publication of the first edition, the field of radiology has advanced in ways that would have been difficult to predict. The most notable change relates to the way images are recorded and stored. Film and film processing, which had been used in the field since the very beginning, are becoming a thing of the past. Radiography has progressed dramatically to using digital technology, and that is the focus of this new edition. A goal of this text has always been to prepare the student who wishes to enter the x-ray servicing profession. This third edition has been completely rewritten and updated to focus on equipment currently in use and to address the latest in digital imaging. In addition, with new illustrations and a revised chapter order, the book is more approachable to students. The book includes chapters on the history and development of radiographic equipment; types of equipment found in the general radiographic room; fundamentals of radiography; safety practices in servicing; installation processes; preventive maintenance; image quality; troubleshooting and repair; theory, service, maintenance, and calibration of tomographic equipment; and the servicing, electronic calibrating, and troubleshooting of mammography units. In addition, there is expanded discussion on mobile x-ray units, paired with digital receptors, a growing trend in x-ray services. The book is further enhanced with many illustrations, including some new to this edition. The text continues to serve as a unique and timely universal manual for x-ray service and biomedical engineers and students as well as a helpful resource for radiologists.
Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery of the Upper Face: Eyelid Ptosis, Dermatochalasis, and Eyebrow Ptosis
by Michael A. Burnstine (Author),
The definitive resource on cutting-edge oculoplastic surgery of the upper face, eyelids, and eyebrows While an estimated 1.5 million brow and upper eyelid surgery procedures are performed worldwide each year, this book is the first published ophthalmologic text with detailed coverage focused solely on this topic. Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery of the Upper Face: Eyelid Ptosis, Dermatochalasis, and Eyebrow Ptosis by distinguished oculofacial plastic surgeons and educators Michael A. Burnstine, Steven C. Dresner, David B. Samimi, Helen A. Merritt, and an impressive group of international experts fills a void in the literature. The succinct, richly illustrated text covers classification, anatomy, evaluation, and a wide spectrum of surgical approaches for each condition. Surgical videos are included. Organized by 7 sections and 39 chapters, the book begins with clinical assessment of patients who present with upper eyelid and eyebrow conditions, followed by evidenced-based treatment protocols. All procedural chapters follow a consistent format, enabling readers to classify problems, review surgical steps, and consider key issues associated with each condition and corrective procedure. Mechanical, involutional, neurogenic, myogenic, and syndromic blepharoptoses detailed in Sections 2 to 6 include etiology, diagnosis, management, and diverse state-of-the-art resection, repair, lift, fill, and augmentation techniques. Key Features
- Each procedural chapter includes an introduction, risks, benefits, informed consent, indications, relative contraindications, a preoperative checklist, required instrumentation, a step-by-step approach for surgeons beginning their career, and refined tips for more experienced surgeons.
- High quality full-color operative photographs enhance knowledge of the most salient operative steps, while before and after photos demonstrate the evidence-based efficacy of each surgery.
- Chapters focused on brow surgery detail a full range of surgical and nonsurgical approaches—from contouring options and direct elevation to fillers and neuromodulators.
Course Guide For Essentials of Anatomy & Physiology
by Jason LaPres Beth Kersten
Course Guide For Essentials of Anatomy & Physiology
Study Guide for Maternity & Women’s Health Care 10th Edition
by Deitra Leonard Lowdermilk RNC PhD FAAN
Master the content from your textbook with this helpful study tool! Corresponding to the chapters in the 10th edition of Lowdermilk's market-leading Maternity & Women's Health Care, this study guide offers a complete review of content and a wide range of activities to help you understand key nursing concepts. Apply your knowledge with critical thinking exercises, multiple-choice and matching questions, and more. To make studying easier, answers are included in the back of the book.
The ABSITE Review 6th Edition
by Steven M. Fiser MD (Author)
The first outline-style ABSITE review book is still the best! The ABSITE Review, 6th Edition, remains your #1 choice for effective, efficient review for this critically important exam. Written in a high-yield, memory-prompting outline format, Dr. Fiser’s concise handbook covers every topic on the American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination, thoroughly updated for today’s residents. It provides a rapid review of essential surgery information with sufficient explanation to build knowledge and confidence as you prepare for the ABSITE.
- Covers every topic on the ABSITE, from basic science to clinical knowledge in general surgery and surgical subspecialties.
- Uses a streamlined outline and list format, full-color illustrations, tables, and algorithms to facilitate quick study and rapid memorization.
- Highlights must-know information in bold throughout the text.
- Reflects the current ABSITE and can be used independently of other study materials.
- Also useful for certification or recertification with a proven format that allows you to spend more time studying important facts and less time searching for them.
- Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.
The ABSITE Review Fifth Edition
by Dr. Steven Fiser (Author)
The first outline-style ABSITE review book – and still the best! For years, general surgery residents have relied on The ABSITE Review for a comprehensive, memory-prompting approach to exam preparation. The Fifth Edition continues to use a streamlined outline and list format to effectively prepare you for certification or recertification with the American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination. The proven, time-saving format allows you to spend more time studying important facts and less time searching for them. Thoroughly revised, comprehensive content ensures that you’ll be up to date on every topic found on the exam – from basic science to clinical knowledge in general surgery as well as surgical subspecialties. Key Features:
- Full-color illustrations, tables, and algorithms support memory-prompting lists and outlines, making the most of your study time.
- Revised material covers what you’ll see on the most recent ABSITE exam, including new guidelines on hemostatic resuscitation, damage control surgery, breast cancer management and more.
- High-yield, comprehensive coverage reflects the current ABSITE and can be used independently of other study materials.
- Bold type highlights must-know information throughout the text.
- Complete content with enhanced navigation
- Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that pull results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
- Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
- Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use
Surgical and Medical Treatment of Osteoporosis: Principles and Practice
by Peter V. Giannoudis (Editor), Thomas A. Einhorn (Editor)
Osteoporosis is the most common bone disease and is associated with pathological fractures that can lead to significant morbidity. It represents an economic burden to the health care system, directly linked to an ageing population. Guidelines on osteoporosis prevention have been published but these do not provide the required specialised knowledge
Pediatric Emergency Ultrasound: A Concise Guide
by Marsha A. Elkhunovich (Editor), Tarina L. Kang (Editor)
This concise, portable manual provides practitioners and future practitioners with a basic guide to pediatric emergency ultrasound, enabling them to learn the fundamentals of bedside ultrasound and use these to refresh their skills prior to, or when, performing it on a patient.