100 Cases in Clinical Medicine 3rd Edition
by P John Rees
Making speedy and appropriate clinical decisions and then choosing the best course of action is an essential skill for doctors. Exploring initial medical assessment, 100 Cases in Clinical Medicine presents 100 scenarios commonly seen by medical students and junior doctors in the emergency or outpatient department, on the ward, or in the community setting.Each case begins with a succinct summary of the patient's history, examination, and initial investigation. The text includes photographs where relevant and questions on the diagnosis and management of each case. The answers provide a detailed discussion on each topic, with further illustration where appropriate.Most of the cases included are common problems but the book also includes more unusual cases to illustrate specific points and to emphasize that rare things do present. The first 20 cases are arranged by systems; the next 80 are in random order because symptoms such as breathlessness and pain may relate to many different clinical problems in various systems.These true-to-life cases will teach students and junior doctors to recognize important clinical symptoms and signs and to develop the diagnostic and management skills needed for the cases they will encounter on the job.
Medical Empathy, Pharmacological Systems, and Treatment Strategies in Integrative Cardiovascular Chinese Medicine
by Anika Niambi Al-Shura
Medical Empathy, Pharmacological Systems, and Treatment Strategies in Integrative Cardiovascular Chinese Medicine, volume two in the Integrative Cardiovascular Chinese Medicine series, presents sections on holism and humanity in medicine, considering the patient, medical empathy in prescribing, modifying and weaning, an overview of pharmacologic systems, an overview of pharmacology sciences and the cardiovascular drug classes and types as revealed from perspectives of Chinese and Western medicine, including descriptions of pharmaceutical drugs from China and the United States, with current pictures and inpatient directions. Finally, principles and treatments according to disease stages for each cardiovascular disease within the scope of integrative medicine is outlined. This important reference will aid cardiovascular researchers in the study of integrative Chinese and Western medicine and provide a clear, structured base to guide clinical practice and encourage collaboration between Chinese and Western medicine practitioners
- Integrates Western and Chinese Medicine for a realistic and complete scope of cardiology treatment, establishing the basis for standardization and rationale of inclusion of Traditional Chinese Medicine in cardiology
- Identifies and inspires ideas where future research can develop and strengthen
- Contains a breakdown comparison of herb and drug formula constituents on the pharmacokinetic and dynamic level
- Includes personalized medicine explaining the human genetics associated with the use of medicines and the advantages/disadvantages of herbs and/or drugs within treatment
Human Papillomavirus: Proving and Using a Viral Cause for Cancer
by David Jenkins
Human Papillomavirus: Proving and Using a Viral Cause for Cancer presents a steady and massive accumulation of evidence about the role of HPV and prevention of HPV-induced cancer, along with the role and personal commitment of many scientists of different backgrounds in establishing global relevance. This exercise involved years of personal commitment to proving or disproving an idea that aroused initial skepticism, and that still has difficult implications for some. It remains one of the big successes of medicine that exploited both established medical science dating back to the nineteenth century and new molecular genetic science during a time of transition in medicine.
- Presents a comprehensive, up-to-date review of the role of HPV in cancer from those involved in its study
- Includes the way evidence on the role and utility of HPV based prevention has been accumulated over almost 40 years
- Gives a series of vignettes of individual scientists involved in the development of the science of HPV and cancer at different stages and their experiences and reasons for involvement
A Brief Atlas of the Human Body 2nd Edition
by Matt Hutchinson
This full-color atlas includes 107 bone and 47 soft-tissue photographs with easy-to-read labels. This new edition of the atlas contains a brand new comprehensive histology photomicrograph section featuring over 50 slides of basic tissue and organ systems. Featuring photos taken by renowned biomedical photographer Ralph Hutchings, this high-quality photographic atlas makes an excellent resource for the classroom and laboratory, and is referenced in appropriate figure legends throughout the text.
Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases: 2-Volume Set 9th Edition
by John E. Bennett MD
For four decades, physicians and other healthcare providers have trusted Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases to provide expert guidance on the diagnosis and treatment of these complex disorders. The 9th Edition continues the tradition of excellence with newly expanded chapters, increased global coverage, and regular updates to keep you at the forefront of this vitally important field. Meticulously updated by Drs. John E. Bennett, Raphael Dolin, and Martin J. Blaser, this comprehensive, two-volume masterwork puts the latest information on challenging infectious diseases at your fingertips.
- Provides more in-depth coverage of epidemiology, etiology, pathology, microbiology, immunology, and treatment of infectious agents than any other infectious disease resource.
- Features an increased focus on antibiotic stewardship; new antivirals for influenza, cytomegalovirus, hepatitis C, hepatitis B., and immunizations; and new recommendations for vaccination against infection with pneumococci, papillomaviruses, hepatitis A, and pertussis.
- Covers newly recognized enteroviruses causing paralysis (E-A71, E-D68); emerging viral infections such as Ebola, Zika, Marburg, SARS, and MERS; and important updates on prevention and treatment of C. difficile infection, including new tests that diagnose or falsely over-diagnose infectious diseases.
- Offers fully revised content on bacterial pathogenesis, antibiotic use and toxicity, the human microbiome and its effects on health and disease, immunological mechanisms and immunodeficiency, and probiotics and alternative approaches to treatment of infectious diseases.
- Discusses up-to-date topics such as use of the new PCR panels for diagnosis of meningitis, diarrhea and pneumonia; current management of infected orthopedic implant infections; newly recognized infections transmitted by black-legged ticks in the USA: Borrelia miyamotoi and Powassan virus; infectious complications of new drugs for cancer; new drugs for resistant bacteria and mycobacteria; new guidelines for diagnosis and therapy of HIV infections; and new vaccines against herpes zoster, influenza, meningococci.
- PPID continues its tradition of including leading experts from a truly global community, including authors from Australia, Canada and countries in Europe, Asia, and South America.
- Includes regular updates online for the life of the edition.
- Features more than 1,500 high-quality, full-color photographs―with hundreds new to this edition.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase, which allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
Pocket Atlas of Emergency Ultrasound, 2nd Edition
by Robert Reardon
Spanning all body systems typically evaluated by ultrasound, this succinct, find-it-now pocket atlas allows you to instantly compare and contrast your real-time images with those appearing in the book. You will also find valuable how-to guidance on essentials such as probe placement, patient positioning, and proper settings – along with anatomical drawings that help you visualize affected organs. Featuring concise, bulleted text, and more than 400 ultrasound images and dozens of line drawings, Emergency Ultrasound, Second Edition is specifically designed to be used at the bedside in an emergency care setting. Coverage includes: • Clinical Considerations • Clinical Indications • Anatomic Considerations • Technique and Normal Findings • Tips to Improve Imaging Acquisition • Common and Emergency Abnormalities • Pitfalls
Junqueira’s Basic Histology: Text and Atlas 15th Edition
Brand New International Paper-back Edition same as per description, **Economy edition, May have been printed in Asia with cover stating Not for sale in US. Legal to use despite any disclaimer on cover. Save Money. Contact us for any queries. Best Customer Support! All Orders shipped with Tracking Number.
Hendee’s Physics of Medical Imaging 5th Edition
by Ehsan Samei
An up-to-date edition of the authoritative text on the physics of medical imaging, written in an accessible format The extensively revised fifth edition of Hendee's Medical Imaging Physics, offers a guide to the principles, technologies, and procedures of medical imaging. Comprehensive in scope, the text contains coverage of all aspects of image formation in modern medical imaging modalities including radiography, fluoroscopy, computed tomography, nuclear imaging, magnetic resonance imaging, and ultrasound. Since the publication of the fourth edition, there have been major advances in the techniques and instrumentation used in the ever-changing field of medical imaging. The fifth edition offers a comprehensive reflection of these advances including digital projection imaging techniques, nuclear imaging technologies, new CT and MR imaging methods, and ultrasound applications. The new edition also takes a radical strategy in organization of the content, offering the fundamentals common to most imaging methods in Part I of the book, and application of those fundamentals in specific imaging modalities in Part II. These fundamentals also include notable updates and new content including radiobiology, anatomy and physiology relevant to medical imaging, imaging science, image processing, image display, and information technologies. The book makes an attempt to make complex content in accessible format with limited mathematical formulation. The book is aimed to be accessible by most professionals with lay readers interested in the subject. The book is also designed to be of utility for imaging physicians and residents, medical physics students, and medical physicists and radiologic technologists perpetrating for certification examinations. The revised fifth edition of Hendee's Medical Imaging Physics continues to offer the essential information and insights needed to understand the principles, the technologies, and procedures used in medical imaging.
Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology 6th Edition
by Connie R. Mahon MS MT(ASCP) CLS
Learn to develop the problem-solving skills necessary for success in the clinical setting! The Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, 6th Edition uses a reader-friendly "building-block" approach to the essentials of diagnostic microbiology. This updated edition has new content on viruses like Zika, an expanded molecular chapter, and the latest information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines. Updated photos offer clear examples of automated lab instruments, while case studies, review questions, and learning objectives present information in an easy-to-understand, accessible manner for students at every level.
- A building-block approach encourages you to use previously learned information to sharpen critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Full-color design, with many full-color photomicrographs, prepares you for the reality of diagnostic microbiology.
- A case study at the beginning of each chapter provides you with the opportunity to form your own questions and answers through discussion points.
- Hands-on procedures describe exactly what takes place in the micro lab, making content more practical and relevant.
- Agents of bioterrorism chapter furnishes you with the most current information about this hot topic.
- Issues to Consider boxes encourages you to analyze important points.
- Case Checks throughout each chapter tie content to case studies for improved understanding.
- Bolded key terms at the beginning of each chapter equip you with a list of the most important and relevant terms in each chapter.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter supply you with a measurable outcome to achieve by completing the material.
- Review questions for each learning objective help you think critically about the information in each chapter, enhancing your comprehension and retention of material.
- Learning assessment questions at the conclusion of each chapter allow you to evaluate how well you have mastered the material.
- Points to Remember sections at the end of each chapter identify key concepts in a quick-reference, bulleted format.
- An editable and printable lab manual provides you with additional opportunities to learn course content using real-life scenarios with questions to reinforce concepts.
- Glossary of key terms at the end of the book supplies you with a quick reference for looking up definitions.
- NEW! Content about Zika and other viruses supplies students with the latest information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines.
- NEW! Expanded Molecular Diagnostics chapter analyzes and explains new and evolving techniques.
- NEW! Updated photos helps familiarize you with the equipment you’ll use in the lab.
- NEW! Reorganized and refocused Mycology chapter helps you better understand the toxicity of fungi.
- NEW! Updated content throughout addresses the latest information in diagnostic microbiology.
Grainger & Allison’s Diagnostic Radiology Essentials 2nd Edition
by Lee A Grant MBChB BA (Oxon) MRCS FRCR
With up-to-date, easy-access coverage of every aspect of diagnostic radiology, Grainger and Allison’s Diagnostic Radiology Essentials, 2nd Edition, is an ideal review and reference for radiologists in training and in practice. This comprehensive overview of fundamental information in the field prepares you for exams and answers the practical questions you encounter every day. In a single, convenient volume, this one-stop resource is derived from, and cross-referenced to, the renowned authoritative reference work Grainger & Allison’s Diagnostic Radiology, 6th Edition.
- Concentrates on the subjects that general diagnostic radiologists need to know, covering all diagnostic imaging modalities and organized by organ and system.
- Uses a concise, highly templated, bulleted format that helps you find the answers you need quickly and easily.
- Features more than 2,000 high-quality images, including plain film, CT, MRI, and ultrasound.
- Presents images directly linked to relevant text on the facing page – no flipping back and forth to review the key radiological features of disease entities.
- Features a new section on interventional radiology that covers interventional vascular radiology techniques, cross sectional angiography, specific drainage techniques, tumor ablation principles, and intervention in hepatobiliary, genitourinary and gynecological conditions.
- Contains a new section on functional imaging which includes both MRI (diffusion weighted imaging and perfusion MRI) and PETCT.
- Includes diagnostic "pearls" that help you avoid pitfalls and errors in diagnosis.
- Includes a useful Appendix with many quick-reference items that are hard to remember but essential in day-to-day practice. New content includes intravascular contrast media, anticoagulation agents and sedation, the latest TNM 8th edition of staging cancers, and new section on PI-RADS and BI-RADS.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.